[Dailydrool] Goodbye my sweet Louie (6/5/1997 - 1/31/2011)

Susan Nickle snickle717 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 8 05:03:58 PST 2011

This is the most difficult post I have ever had to write.  Despite being a member of the DD almost continuously since 1997, I've rarely posted in recent years, but follow everyone's triumphs and tribulations as closely as life allows, sharing laughter and sadness as only a fellow basset lover can.

In Aug 1997, after being bassetless for 2 years, an adorable 10-week-old little guy with big feet, big ears and a tiny bladder entered our lives and our hearts. We  named him Louie. He soon grew into a fine gentleman and while his good behavior was occasionally punctuated by moments of goofiness he was never destructive and, aside from some normal basset stubbornness, he rarely misbehaved. He adored his elderly grandparents. He enjoyed kissing people's ears and toes for some reason. He wasn't crazy about being petted on the top of  his head, but liked having the front of his neck rubbed. He lived to eat. He loved celebrating his birthday and Christmas each year and would always get to be the first family member to open a gift on Christmas morning. He loved carrots, bananas, Cheerios, licking out Mommy's coffee yogurt container, his toys and a large stuffed Hush Puppies basset we call Big Dog. Gopher tortoises fascinated him. And no matter what
 procedures he needed at the vet's, he always returned the next time happily wagging his tail, anxious to see all his friends at the clinic. He was such a good boy.

In his early years, we traveled with him around the country a lot. He Waddled in Michigan twice, enthusiastically chased bunnies in parks near and far and endlessly sniffed some of the finer - and not so finer - things that life had to offer. Unfortunately, he also ate some of those not-so-finer things once in a while, but thank goodness always felt better in a day or two. Each night we would play what we called his Game: while I took him outside for a minute my husband would hide 5 treats in various places around our living room. Louie would then come running in, flews a-flapping and begin sniffing around every nook and cranny to  find his treats. This game, along with his other food events and walks, had to be carried out at the same time each day. He had us well trained! He was a silly, happy boy. Life was good.

Louie aged quite gracefully into his senior years and looked and acted younger than his 13 years. Unfortunately, the first week of January he was diagnosed with a nodule on his spleen and a large mass nearby. He continued to do well all month though and I marveled at how happy and active he was for an old guy with such a grim prognosis. Sadly, on Monday Jan 31, time ran out. We were fortunate that after just a few hours of discomfort that morning, he and I snuggled up together on his blanket on the floor of the clinic while we waited for our wonderful vet to come in to end his suffering. Louie laid his head on my leg as if he wanted to anchor me there so I wouldn't leave. He needn't have worried - I wasn't going anyplace. He slipped away quietly and peacefully, his head still resting on my leg. My husband and I spent a few minutes alone with him. I buried my face in his soft fur, trying to memorize how it felt. With tears streaming down, I kissed his
 silky ears and sweet, graying face and told him he would live on forever in my heart.

There are truly no words that can really convey the love and sometimes the worry - yes, love can be such a two-sided coin - that I felt for Louie all these years. It is often said that the decision to euthanize is such a difficult decision, yet for me that decision was fairly easy; I knew in my heart, without a doubt, it was the right time. The difficult part is now going on without Louie, getting up each morning without his being here, without our morning snuggle, without my day almost totally revolving around him. The sadness I am feeling is beyond description. I miss him so much. While it would be customary to light a candle in remembrance of my boy, I think Louie would want to be honored with something food related. So please give your houndies a favorite treat tonight and have something yummy for yourself to honor Louie. And give your wonderful, warm furry houndies a big hug; the years go by all too quickly.

Sue