[Dailydrool] Why we need intentional communities

fatfencer fleuretist at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 03:01:08 PST 2011

I don't know if its me. Could be me, but I don't think it is. It SEEMS as if
the vast majority of people are not dog people. Even if they like dogs, its
as if the dogs are the 'also rans' of the family. Not really family, just
family light, quasi-family.

Just there when you need em... but when they need you... oh boy. 'Why spend
the money saving this one when we can just let him go and get another
one'??? Or how about this drivel... ' He/She's JUST a DOG'...

Oh God. People who say that crap drive me NUTS.

At least HERE on DD I feel safe. People don't judge me for calling my dogs,
my 'sons'. They are my sons. Regular people don't understand. I even had one
useless idiot who used to be a friend of mine tell me : 'He's not your son,
he's a dog.'

To which I strongly responded: 'No one tells me who or what belongs to me in
my house. What's mine is mine.'

I suspect regular people mean well. They want you to be less sensitive, or
maybe insensitive to the dogs so that you can feel less pain when they pass.
It's an interesting sentiment, but horrible. Horrible.

Real dog people need to live near one another.

The muggle born just aren't meant to know better.

It's funny how a dog dying exposes who truly understand you. I had another
ex-friend, supposedly a Christian and definitely a tea-party "founding
fathers rights" enthusiast tell me that my love was misplaced with dogs and
moreover, that dogs don't have any rights because they cannot assert
them!!!! He thinks guys like Vick shouldn't have been punished because dogs
are property!!!

Needless to say he is going to hell.

Do you all have any stories of lunatics disguised as people? Surely you do.

It'd be my wildest dream to start a permaculture community dedicated to
dogs, where vets could contribute their caring efforts in return for a few
acres and a house. A community where dog lovers could be assured that late
nite vet trips don't mean juggling your bills around or not paying rent. No
more $4000.00 bloat surgeries, $2500 pancreatitis treatments. Just people
who care for one another and our animal family members.

Think about it, if everyone pooled their past vet bills together. We could
pay for a staff of 5 to live on a large ranch or something forever probably.
I've spent in excess of $10k on 4 dogs over the past 10 years.

I know, I know I'm dreaming. I get it. But I just hate to see what to me is
such an obvious inefficiency.

I feel more sane after I read the Drool. :-)