[Dailydrool] stinky flews

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 07:13:47 PST 2011

Stinky flews are almost always caused by a bacterial infection and the dog
benefits from anti-biotics and something that DRIES the flews-- I am a big
fan of Pyoben gel, or any OTC acne cream or lotion that contains benzoyl
peroxide. But the important part is treating the bacterial infection too.
I strongly suggest that dogs with stinky flews-- man they can smell like a
sewer!-- see his Vet first and get something oral to help the infection and
THEN you may treat it daily with an ointment or lotion. Usually it is the
edges of the lower jaw and the chin that are actually infected. Be sure to
blot the dog's face dry after he drinks or eats. If he slobbers a lot, have
towels around to blot (don't rub-- it's sore!) the mouth and chin dry.
Mitchell was very badly afflicted with this, and now Nigel gets it too. The
Classic Basset heads with the heavy flews and lots of skin are the ones who
have the worst problems. There are "dry" Bassets-- Conley is one-- but his
flews are not nearly as heavy as Nigels.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Cooper.