[Dailydrool] Gus and Cardiomyopathy

Mucci, Annette Annette.Mucci at us.hjheinz.com
Thu Feb 10 11:46:03 PST 2011

I sincerely hope that Gus's new forever home truly understands the
seriousness of cardiomyopathy.  It is treatable but it is a very serious
disease.

I lived it for 4 years with Cassie, and between her cancer and the
cardiomyopathy, it all eventually sent her to the bridge.

Dogs can live on medication but you still have to be careful with all
their activity.  It is nothing to mess around with or take lightly.

The thing that I encountered was that the drug company that made her
medicine decided that they didn't make enough of a profit on it....like
in her last 3 months that she was living.  In my most crucial time of
needing her medicine to work, there was a shortage.  They just stopped
making it.  I think I scarfed up every 200 mg tablet of mexiltene in
western pa in those 3 months and then I could only get 150's.  And
milligram dosage does make a different.  I don't think that helped her
survival time but there wasn't anything else I could do.  And talk about
a woman in panic mode.  I would have sold my soul to get her that
medicine, but it just wasn't simply available.  Anywhere.  I think I
called every manufacturer and pharmacy between here and Canada in those
last months.

We send lots and lots of drool for Gus to find the right family to take
care of him.

Annette (Maya & Cassie atb both from heart failure), Schroeder, Sophie,
Apollo & Cash

This communication is intended for the use of the addressee
only and may contain information that is privileged or
confidential. If you are not the addressee, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution or use of this
communication is prohibited. If you received this
communication in error, please destroy it, all copies and any
attachments and notify the sender as soon as possible. Any
comments, statements or opinions expressed in this
communication do not necessarily reflect those of H.J. Heinz
Company, its subsidiaries and affiliates.