[Dailydrool] Questionable subjects

njmedic702 at aol.com njmedic702 at aol.com
Thu Feb 17 05:52:19 PST 2011

 Dear Drool Family,
I use this salutation purposely as I truly do consider most of the regular posters here to be members of my extended "cyber" family.  That  said, I think it would be a good time to take a step back and, with the permission of the moderators, think about the recent "controversy" the  home cremation post stirred up.  For many, the mere mention of cremation makes their skin crawl, not only for their beloved furbaby but themselves.  When I made my decision to be cremated after death, my poor mother was devastated!  Couldn't for the life of her figure out why I would "do such a thing" to my body.  She also felt autopsies were mutilating - so for her, organ donation, which in MHO is one of the most selfless gifts of life on can give to another, was out of the question!  We agreed to disagree, did not have an autopsy performed upon her death and she was buried in the family plot she and dad purchased years before.

My husband and I have chosen cremation for many reasons; the lesser expense, the ability to spread ashes in a favorite place, etc. but have also purchased a "niche" in a local cemetery's mausoleum at the request of our children so they are able, if they choose, to come and pay their respects from time to time.  We are happy with our choice but completely understand why others would NOT choose to do so and prefer, instead, to be buried after a traditional viewing or other cultural memorial service.

Many animal owners and countless Basset folks have chosen cremation because of the ability to keep the cremains close by in a special container, which for some, is very comforting.  We each suffer loss and grieve in our own way, on our own timetable.  That being said, I don't think the post documenting "home" cremation was meant to be offensive but rather offer another means to deal with the death of a beloved pet.  Most Drool readers it seems, found the post harsh and something they could not do or even imagine doing.  I feel the same way about farmers who must put down an injured horse or other animal.  I could NOT do this, even if it was the most humane way to treat the animal.  Nor could I cremate a beloved pet.  I have to agree with Pam about this post.  It was very obvious from the beginning where it was going.  In fact, I did not finish reading the post; it was just not something I was comfortable with - so I just moved on to another.  We each have this simple option.

The moderators have a difficult job.  I'm sure it occasionally seems they are "censoring" instead of moderating which I like to think is NOT the case.  There are times when medical information is given by a layperson which is inaccurate.  If I were a vet tech or veterinarian reading erroneous info I would feel obligated to correct or expand upon it as in the case of the dog with cardiomyopathy - as just a condition requiring a "pill" to treat.  In theory, in mild cases this is true.  In practice the degree of the problem dictates the extent of treatment which is warranted.   Some folks don't mind adopting and caring for a chronically ill pet; others cannot make that kind of commitment.  So, in our mutual need to find homes for all homeless pets, this caveat needs to be out there so one knows what they are getting into.

That being said, my day is not complete without reading the Drool.  The love, support and knowledge which is generously shared here is amazing.  Like all families we will disagree, even "fight" sometimes.  But, like families, in the end it is the love and connection which keeps us together.

Sandi, Mamaslave to the NJ 4
Daisy, Delilah, Dozer and Dudley