[Dailydrool] Please read!! message from the mod squad

Angelika Hastings angelikabrn at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 17 07:20:05 PST 2011

First I'd like to clear up a couple of myth's and remind folks about a drool rule or two.
There are 8 moderators. All of us in different parts of the world, all of us with jobs, families and real lives. All of us with different levels of education and backgrounds. We all have different opinions about things. This is good~ it allows us to see the 'other side' of a post, which we might not have otherwise. Some of us live in rural areas, others smack dab in the city- believe me even where we live and how well we speak and express ourselves has been questioned.
The dailydrool rules can be found at www.dailydrool.com anyone who has been a drooler for some time IS familiar with these. Here is one:
>>FORWARDING OR SUPPLYING THE DAILY DROOL TO ANYONE NOT ON OUR DAILY DROOL SUBSCRIBER LIST IS STRICTLY FORBIDDEN AND WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE AND IRREVOCABLE CANCELLATION OF SUBSCRIPTION.<<

I am bringing this up as posts, links etc are being posted on facebook by member of the dailydrool. Also folks who are subscribed are 'sharing' with those who are not. We know this, not because we have the time or will or energy to look for this info, but because concerned members forwarded this info to the mods. Some I have come across myself as some of you are in my fb friends' list.

Myths concerning posts in regards to raising funds for rescue. There are many of them out there... bottom line is real simple and everyone is asked to provide the following:
When you post that you are raising money, you must specify which basset rescue will benefit. You can't just say rescue, or several rescues. You must specify which ones. Not hard to do and takes only moments even if you plan to give to many of them. We also ask that you limit the times you post to keep posts from being too repetitive.

Rejected post myths- yes we do reject posts. Most of them simply due to byte size limits. We ask that they post a link for pictures as attachments are not allowed. We have all been droolers for some time- sometimes we reject a post knowing that the poster will get blasted for what they wrote. We might suggest a different way of saying what they wish to say. We reject blatant profanity.
Nancy used to moderate the drool by herself. Now there are 8 of us to do it. When something questionable comes up we decide by majority if to post or reject. There are not one or two of us that 'strong arm' the others- we all have equal power so to speak.
We have in the past allowed posts about fundraisers that were not exactly within the drool guidelines- but they were to help out fellow droolers financially, and we allowed them for that reason. Now those same people are busy bad-mouthing us.
Now concerning the latest uproar, the cremation post. Yes we DO read ALL posts before they are approved. There are four options we can click on: defer, approve, reject and discard. Sometimes it does happen and the wrong button is clicked. Once you submit there is no turning back. It can also happen that more than one mod is moderating at the same time. It's not like a chat room- you don't know who might already be there. There have been times where a post was approved, but it never shows up. Did two mods click at the same time and poof?? We don't know.
In any case apologies were made for the cremation post having been posted. Those of you most offended by it, appear to also be the ones  reading it most diligently. It is a touchy subject and that was why it was going to be rejected. We never reject a post without giving the reason why it was rejected. We now have to deal with a poster calling us profane names to other droolers as well as directly.
Having said all of this- the moderators will now take a break from moderating. All of us. For the next week or so you can post what you wish. We will check for byte size limits only. If your post exceeds size limits it will be rejected. If it does not- we will approve it. Maybe you are all right and there is no need for moderators.
As for the old drool... that is long gone~ in place is a different , but generally supportive drool.We still follow Nancy's original guidelines as she wrote them. We are no longer a group of hundreds, but thousands. Nancy used to edit/discard messages as she saw fit. The drool only still exists because Melissa and Alex Jokela donate their time and money to keep it running. Noone pays for the drool to come out- but them. If not for them- there would not be the dailydrool digest~ it would have ended with Nancy's retirement. This morning a long time drooler asked to be unsubscribed. This really saddens me. If any of you are considering doing the same- I ask that you hang in there and hope, along with myself, that better times will return. We are all in it for the bassets!
The floor is yours~ Angelika one of the moderators