[Dailydrool] Drool fan

Riche Churchill buglr at blomand.net
Thu Feb 17 17:05:40 PST 2011

Can't remember how long I've been on this list, but a long, long time,
and there have been controversies before, people dropping out, new ones
joining in, some people hurt, many more helped. Considering the
thousands and thousands of posts over the years, it boggles my mind that
anyone gets their knickers in such a twist over a comparatively tiny few
that offend or even enrage. Starting or joining a "new" Drool-type list
is not going to solve all problems, people. Sooner or later the new
group will start nitpicking and complaining. It just seems to be what
some people do.

I am on another list (though may not be after tonight) that is geared to
the show dog people and promises "no Basset-speak" and similar
silliness. Although I was somewhat offended by what I inferred as a
rather snotty attitude, joined anyway because I'm interested in the
show-dog world, too. And the site does offer some good information for
those who enter shows or events, but mostly it is so boring that I
generally am 500 posts behind (personal best was over 1000) -- because
way too many of the posts are simply one-liners saying "Way to go!" or
"Congratulations!" after someone posts their dog just won at a show. Or
one-liners referring you to a website for info. So one must wade through
literally hundreds of nothing posts to find the gems, and I rarely have
the time to spare for that. I look at the SUBJECTS of every single
DailyDrool EVERY DAY. I may not read them all that day, but eventually
do. I'd feel as though I'd lost my best friend or my most beloved hound
if it ever stopped appearing in my inbox.

But on the subject of Basset-speak: There really wasn't all that much of
it in the early days, it sorta crept in and appeared more and more
often. At first I didn't care that much for it, so cleverly skipped
those, but eventually found myself reading and ENJOYING them. Not all,
but most. And the cursor is a handy little gadget just made for
scrolling past the few things one might not wish to read -- some of you
seem to need to remember that option.

Lastly, it astonishes me to hear that some people have been "flamed"
(received nasty messages) because of something posted. Personally, I
think if you have something to rant about, you should post it to the
list -- not privately. Or not do it at all. Educating and explaining
things to people is part of what this list is all about -- along with
sympathizing, sharing experiences and asking for and getting help with
problems.

Riche