[Dailydrool] The Drool's gift to me

Laura Moravinski lou.mo at comcast.net
Thu Feb 17 17:12:28 PST 2011

I am an animal lover.  I mean a catch-a-bug-and-set-it-free, follow-strays-for-miles-to-catch-and-miss-appointments, spend-more-time-with-the-dog-then-my-friends kind of animal lover.  I always wanted a dog and when I got married we adopted my Harry.  My first Basset.  My first dog!  I stumbled upon the Drool while scouring the internet and I never could have imagined how this group would affect my life.  Seriously.  I learned everything there is to know about Bassets...from the tip of their amazing noses to the curly q’s on their bottom.  I learned about the proper way to be trained (me not him).  I learned about puppy mills and rescues and that in the depths of human depravity there is hope.  I learned how to laugh from the bottom of my toes (the Thanksgiving turkey-on-the-head story) and I learned how to mourn.  I learned how to reach out a helping hand and gain a friend.  But most of all, I learned that there is nowhere else in my life where I can go and feel so close to a total stranger.  We are all here....laughing and crying and even raging at times.  But we are HERE.  On the Drool.
I understand that there will be times when things are said that may offend or annoy.  I understand that we will not always agree.  But what I can’t understand is how anyone could let any of those things threaten the magic we have here.  And that’s what it is.....magic.
For almost 10 years now, I sit at night and read my Drool.  In those 10 years, I have suffered the loss of loved ones, miscarriages, Autism, financial ruin and declining health.  But when I sit at this computer, it is about nothing more then my furry family.  I long to read the latest triumph of a saved soul, the antics of the OEBE, the post with helpful information.  I end each night with a silent prayer for those who have set off for the Bridge...leaving behind broken hearts and empty beds.  This digest is as much a part of me as my Harry is himself.  And I for one, am forever grateful to have found a home without walls.  A place where we can come together, in all our glory, and share what only a family can.

So again, tonight, I will laugh at Marlene, pray for those lost and sip my tea.  I am home...... and it’s a good place to be.

Laura and Harry  Moravinski