[Dailydrool] Good old days and moderators

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Thu Feb 17 17:13:05 PST 2011

Am I the only one who remembers why we ended up with eight moderators? Nancy had too much on her plate, for sure, but from the time I first started on the Drool, we've had problems with people flaming each other. People got upset and left the Drool over it--some of them were really wonderful people who were hurt deeply by what I hope were just thoughtless words. We've never heard from them again. I admit that once or twice I thought of leaving the Drool because I got flamed myself. Instead I began periodically reminding people to play nice when their words seemed hurtful.

The idea of the moderators was that this kind of thing would be limited. People would not be able to flame others publically or privately, because to do so would be to threaten the peace of the Drool.

I don't think the people on the Drool now are so different from the people back then in the good old days before such moderation. We all need to remember to be polite to others, even when we disagree. Most folks remember that. The ones who seriously break the rules are barred from the Drool, as I understand it. It has made for peace and retained most of the freedom of the Drool.

I don't miss the flaming, it wasn't part of the good in the good old days. I appreciate the moderators and hope they'll be willing to keep on keeping on with it. I can't think of a reason that they'd want to put up with reading nastiness and swear words, but I'm glad they are willing to for the good of the group. I hope this round hasn't so disgusted them that they never want to do it again.

And I hope that all of us will remember not to abuse them--they don't deserve it.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets