[Dailydrool] Help!

Dona - Bob - and The Princess Hattie Rose earstoyou at att.net
Thu Feb 17 17:53:28 PST 2011

I just know someone here will be able to help me.

I just got the
email you all dread... "my Fred (basset) bit my Luke (1y/o baby) in the
face and now we have to get him a new home.  (Fred, not the baby)...

I'm attaching her email - this breaks my heart.  Can anyone help?

I am sure you remember us/me/our basset Fred. We live just across the way. I hope all is well and holidays were great for you both. I found your email address in my email and I wanted to reach out to you. I am hoping you can help us, we really need some
guidance. I have some sad news, Fred bit our 13 month old Luke in the
face on 2/13. We had to go to ER and luckily Luke didn’t need stitches
but he was put on antibiotic to ward off infection. He has cuts on the
outside and puncture wounds on the inside of his mouth. He is looking better as days go by. Good
news is he is not afraid since the bite occurred. He went to kiss Fred
and Fred lashed out and lunged/bit him. It was really scary and
something we never ever thought would happen. We know Fred didn’t mean
it, he just lashed out. I have been sick to think about it and that this even happened. We think Fred has had a rough time adjusting to Luke, he is not the baby anymore and he’s become territorial. I think he was
trying to show dominance.

I am emailing you for help. Fred is currently under 10 day rabies
observation and will be cleared on 2/24. Obviously we know he doesn’t
have rabies and he is up to date on his shots. But this is a formality
we have to do by law since a report was filed. We have thought long and
hard about what is best for Luke and Fred, we have come to the decision
that we can’t have this happen again or with someone else’s child. So we are needing to find the best home for Fred. We DON’T want him to go to a shelter or humane society place. We want him to go straight to a home
or maybe a rescue/foster home. I am not sure how that works. We have
called Guardian Angel and the message my husband received on the phone was they are full and
not taking any dogs. We also currently have our vet who has a friend who only has bassets. He is checking with him to see if he would take Fred.

My questions to you are where do we go from here if that plan falls
through with the vet’s friend? How do we get Fred into a home and not a
shelter environment, he doesn’t deserve that? I think the best
environment that is best for him is older kids 8 and above or adults (no kids). Children who just know to leave the dog alone when it doesn’t
want to be bothered. Is there anyone we can call or you can talk to for
us, to help Fred? I have never had to do this so we don’t know where to
turn to start the process? I am hoping we can find a place once he is
cleared on 2/24. Please email me back at amyozley at gmail.com. Thank you so much for listening and any help you can give us. We truly appreciate it.

Thanks.

I know the rescues are all full, but this is a wonderful guy... happy and silly... just jealous of the baby, they said -- I think it is lack of exercise on his part.

any ideas would be appreciated.

Dona

 For dog hats and embroidery visit
http://www.earstoyou.net