[Dailydrool] Snatching & this and that

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 05:45:10 PST 2011

I don't think anyone will be surprised when I say that the Pita, Ginger, is
our snatcher. I know how you should hand a treat to a dog but, since my
grandkids love to give treats and don't do it the "correct" way, I do it the
wrong way and risk losing a finger or two. Ginger actually has gotten much
better as time has gone along. I always have her sit and tell her gentle and
it's actually starting to work. We've been at this for over two years so you
would think it would start to sink in sometime!! I swear the brown truck is
going to stop here some day!

Our first dog, a bagel named Barney, bit our oldest two legger when she was
a toddler. Yep, he got her face but we were lucky and he didn't break the
skin, just scratched her up pretty badly. I have to admit, I totally freaked
out at the time and remember grabbing the poor dog and spanking him (which
is TOTALLY out of character for me). Then, once I calmed down, I realized
that he bit her because she had hurt him by grabbing a hand full of skin to
pull herself up on the chair to sit with him. Well, you can only imagine how
horrible I felt when I realized that the whole incident was really my fault
for not keeping tract of what my baby was doing! I don't think I have ever
raised my hand to a dog in the 33 years since then! However, the thought of
getting rid of the dog never entered my mind. Barney was our first "child"
and it just never entered my head that the dog would have to go.

We're having some beautiful weather here in NC. It's supposed to go into the
70's today so I'm trying to gear up to try and take the Pita for a walk
today. I will remember to bring treats with me in case she decides to just
stop like she did the last time. I weighed this chunky monkey the other day
and she's a lean mean 64 pounds now and there isn't an ounce of fat on her.
I actually can see the outline of her ribs so she could probably weigh
another pound but I sure cannot carry her heavy hiney home if she refuses to
walk like she did the other day. Wish me luck!!

It's great to hear that Leslie is doing so well. I've had three back
surgeries in the past few years so I know what you're going through. It's
not a lot of fun but so worth it once you recover. The Houndettes send drool
to all in need. The mastiffs are spending a few days with us and are always
glad to sling some drool too!

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger
with Brutus & Sasha too