[Dailydrool] Missing dog, found - a feel good story

kacy green greenlikethecolor at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 11:17:00 PST 2011

After a stressful week on the drool, I thought I'd share this little tale
about James' sisters' dog. Although not a basset, he does like our bassets
and always has a fun time showing them around the ranch where he lives.
---
Cowboy and Ruperts "cousin", my SIL's Austrailian Cattle Dog, Butch ran off
during their morning walk last Saturday the 12th. They live out in the
country so they walk off-leash, and Butch must've got spooked or something
because he suddenly just jetted. They searched all day, covering over 50
acres, no Butch. A neighborhood kid  reported that he saw Butch waiting at
the side of the road to cross. A car must've got startled at the close
proximity of the dog, and in an unlikely response, swerved toward the white
line, striking Butch who was just standing there. The neighbor kid tried to
go help, but Butch ran off.

Yvonne (SIL) and her husband were devastated to hear this but even more
determined to find Butch and get him medical attention. They took off on
foot and by car, covering over 60 acres looking for Butch. They checked
shelters and vet offices. Nothing.

Valentines Day came and went. No Butch. They left the back gate open each
night, hoping and praying that he'd make his way home. He never did.

Finally by about Wednesday they assumed he was gone. Trying to be positive,
but also realistic, they assumed he was likely dead after hearing he'd been
hit so hard out on the main road.

Yesterday was Yvonne's birthday and she was so sad about losing Butch. He
had always been a really good dog, and had helped their rescue Aussie Maddie
adjust to having a forever home. Maddie was distraught all week without
Butch.

Well late last night, about 430am, Maddie woke Yvonne up, whining and pawing
at the back door. Yvonne opened the door and Maddie ran to the gate, now
closed, assuming Butch wasn't coming home. Maddie pawed at the gate
continuously until Yvonne relented, went out into the cold and opened the
gate. There was Butch! Just sitting pretty outside the gate, waiting to be
let in. He was covered in mud and grease, and had some road rash on his
side, but overall he was in good health and happy to be home.

A birthday miracle, I'd say. We are all ecstatic that he made it home and
has no broken bones or major injuries. They are taking him to the vet today,
just to be sure, but from what they can tell, he seems ok.

Drool to all,
Kacy with Cowboy and Rupert