[Dailydrool] Sheila Self spam emails

R Groves dd-post at thegroves.net
Sat Feb 19 00:11:19 PST 2011

Fresh off the presses ... we shouldn't hear any more from Sheila Self's
account (at least not her legitimate account).

The account has been shut down by MSN/Hotmail for "Code of Conduct"
violations.

And for anyone wondering ... the account's password was compromised.  Either
Sheila was using an easy password (something in the dictionary) or had
entered her password while in a hostile computer environment (ie, open
wireless connection, on someone's shared un-trustworthy computer, etc)

Its not that someone was targeting the Drool ... but that the DailyDrool's
email address was in her address book, so when the account was hacked,
everyone in the address book was getting those spams.

Take the time folks, make sure your passwords aren't simple dictionary
words.  It takes a computer a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a
second to test "user@" with thousands of passwords.

-Robert