[Dailydrool] Puppy brains

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Sat Feb 19 15:30:29 PST 2011

Yesterday I picked up a basset puppy from a vet's office where he'd been deserted by his humans. Thank God that one of the techs took a dog for a last-minute walk before they shut up shop, or this adorable fellow would have died of exposure in the cold night air. His former humans left him in a crate, without even a pan at the bottom. No soft blankie or anything else to protect him. But the vet tech did spot him and took him in. The vet started caring for his medical needs and graciously sent him into rescue with medications that would heal him.

We overnighted the little guy, and I could have fallen in love, if only he had a few more brains in his empty little head. I had forgotten how utterly brainless little bassets are. You could go from one side of his brain to the other and hit nothing but air. But he was the sweetest fellow if not the brightest. Our cat, Duncan, who has suddenly decided that any hound who comes into this home is fair game, quickly took him in hand. The little fellow hardly knew what to make of being attacked by a huge fluffball that had two pawfuls of sharp claws. But at least he didn't run, crying, into another room, like our last overnight foster.

There is a reason why I don't adopt puppies. I used to think it was because they were so destructive, but now I know it's because they are just so airheaded. There's a reason God makes puppies so cute--it's so that we'll put up with their antics and brainlessness for so long.  (And this fellow really was cute!)

The folks who are set up to adopt him will adore him, I'm sure. He'll love sharing their home with their other hound puppy. But give me a hound with brains--I never could stand the dumb guys, when I dated, and now I know it's the same with the four-footed males who share my life.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets, all of whom have very nice brains, thank you