[Dailydrool] Introduction from a Lurker

Sarah.bersoux at gmail.com Sarah.bersoux at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 22:33:39 PST 2011

Greetings all,

I've been reading DD digest since April '09 and realize I have never made a
post. At the very least I'd like to introduce myself. I have a
basset/beagle mix, Chloe, who was born on Thanksgiving 2008. She came to me
as a rambunctious 5month old in April '09, at which point I threw myself
into learning as much about bassets as I could. That summer my husband and
I adopted an 8wk GSD puppy from the local shelter, who we lost almost
immediately to parvo. On Thanksgiving '09, after much bleaching and
fretting, we unexpectedly brought home puppy Jade, our shepherd/chow(??)
mixed dog.

Until she was about a year old, I sometimes thought I had made a mistake
taking Chloe home with me. I love her to death but she had so much energy
that I had no idea how long she would spend bouncing off of the walls.
Thankfully for me, between her spay and her 1 year birthday she calmed
down. I consider myself lucky because with Jade, even as a puppy she has
always been an "old soul". She will sit and shake your hand for hours if
you let her. She picked up crate training and adjusted to our work
(indoor/outdoor/play/potty) schedule from Chloe very quickly.

Last Christmas the dogs came with us on our cross country move from Fort
Bragg to Fort Hood. My husband and I are both active duty Army and when we
got to Texas last month learned we will be deploying together in the next
few months. I leave for a month long training next week so the girls are on
a "trial run" with a close friend/pet sitter. Should all go well this month
then she will be watching them for the entire deployment. It is always good
to know people who understand and care about pets with the same ferocity.
It is MUCH too quiet in the house with only humans around.

Besides the girls, I have also spent many years in licensed hedgehog
breeding and rescue, been a proud skunk owner (can't wait to own another
once I'm out of the service), owned and/or rescued various reptile and
ferrets. I spent time in Florida volunteering with the local zoo as well as
a local wildlife rehabilitation center.

I thoroughly enjoy reading the DD, whether its about care taking, antics
and stories, or otherwise. Thank you all (:

By the way, I uploaded some pictures of the girls so you can "meet" them

http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/n581/Sarah_Collazo/The%20Pups/

Sarah