[Dailydrool] BHRL Volunteer Anyone?

jkrames at aol.com jkrames at aol.com
Tue Feb 22 21:16:13 PST 2011

Isanyone able and willing to help the Basset Hound Rescue League (BHRL) inMaryland by responding to emails on behalf of this great 501c3organization?  You can do it from anywhere, but it's probably best if youlive in or near Maryland.  I simply cannot do this volunteer job anymore. If you might be interested, you can check out the organization at bassethoundrescueleague.net. I hope to find a replacement who is a true basset lover.  By the way, theBHRL also rescues dachshunds, corgis, and hound mixes, as well as some othermixed breeds.

I adopted both Mabel and Jackson from the BHRL.  Mabel rescued me from thedepths after both my chocolate labs, Mocha and Java, went to the bridge.  Whenthe last one left in July 2009, I thought I was ready to begin my own life—withoutdogs or kids to worry about.  My two human boys and step-daughter, wereall gone (or so I thought as my daughter is now back home, along with her non-basset). The day after Java went to the bridge I traveled out of town with my older sonto help him set up his first apartment.  I returned 5 days later andsimply was unable to enter the house.  I spent the afternoon with my friend'sdog.

Insteadof freedom, I felt despair.  That was a Friday.  By Sunday, with thehelp of the BHRL, Mabel had acquired a new slave--me.  I grew up with abasset, Jemmy (short for Jeremiah).  Inever thought I could love a dog as much, but Mabel captured my heart.  Weimmediately bonded and she clearly loved me best.  Previously, I had done99% of the dog care and my husband with his deeper voice and tendency to sharehis dinner got 99% of the love.  He was so jealous that he arranged for usto adopt Jackson from the BHRL.  Jackson immediately latched onto my husband,so in his view, all is right with the world again.  Now I work, go to gradschool at night, and try to rein in three dogs that do their best to destroythe house.  You can surely understand why I love the BHRL, but somethinghas to give, and I'm afraid my BHRL volunteer work must go.  I hopesomeone out there can help.

If you are interested, please email me at jkrames at aol.com.

Jane, Mom-slave to Mabel, Jackson, and step-dog not-a-basset Jack
(yes, it is bizarre and annoying to have a dog named Jackson and another namedJack)