[Dailydrool] What's "normal" sick for a pregnant dog?

Hinchliffe at aol.com Hinchliffe at aol.com
Wed Feb 23 06:55:19 PST 2011

Turning to my DD family yet again ...

My friend's sweet 2-year-old dog is five weeks pregnant.  She is  usually
the bounciest, most playful energizer bunny, but now she sleeps all the
time, is uncomfortable, pants, shivers, just seems sick; low-grade sick, nothing
 dramatic or obvious.  It's been going on for at least a week (I babysit
her most days).  If she were my dog, I would have had her at the vet a  week
ago, but my friend (who adores the dog, there's no question of neglect)
insists that it's just natural for a pregnancy.

Is that true?  I can understand the clinginess and sleep, but she just
seems ... sick.  Not critically, but I worry that there's some underlying
thing that could be hurting her or the puppies.  But then again, never  having
had a baby myself, I don't know how morning sickness can really make you
feel.  She didn't eat for a few days, still is not overly interested in  food
(unusual for her), but she is eating most of her meals.

Thanks for any advice or insights!  I've suggested twice that my  friend
take her to the vet, but she dismisses me as a worry-wort (which, of  course,
I am, famous for it -- I brought the dog to the vet when she was bopped  in
the head during play a few months ago and couldn't open her eye -- the vet
(Blueberry's vet too, who I've known for years) took us in immediately and
said,  "I looked out and saw Nervous Nellie in the waiting room and I thought
-- well,  I'd better get this over with as soon as possible."  Dog, vet,
and Nervous  Nellie were all fine.).

Beth H. (Duchess ATB and Blueberry ATB, who were being constantly  dragged
to the vet, poor things)