[Dailydrool] Adult dog whining while crated

Sarah.bersoux at gmail.com Sarah.bersoux at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 20:40:30 PST 2011

Hi all, I introduced myself recently but I will recap for the benefit of
this post. My husband and I are both active duty military preparing for an
upcoming deployment. I never thought we would have the exact same
deployment cycle so I'll be first to admit it has not been easy making sure
the pets are safe while we're gone. My two dogs (one basset/beagle, and one
shepherd/chow? girl) are with a friend for the month of April. This is
basically our trial run to determine if she can fit two more dogs in her
family for a year on top of her own pets and (literally) small farm.

Chloe (my basset) is just over two years old and has been crate trained
since she was a puppy. We don't have any issues with her in her crate, she
ignores the hedgehogs and hermit crabs that also share that room. Quiet as
a mouse when crated at our house. She gets plenty of outdoor time, play,
interaction, and usually only goes in her crate at night. When we traveled
cross country with her and had her crated in the hotel room, she whined,
wimpered, and even barked the entire night (Talk about grumpy humans the
next day). I chalked it up to stress/change of schedule/close proximity
without attention.

When Chloe is crated now (which is on and off during the day, due to doggy
politics and the fact that they don't all play nice together) she whines at
my petsitter's cats. (To be fair, they taunt her. She HAS stopped trying to
eat them, though). I didn't foresee this because I do not have cats.
However I feel their pain since her kennel is in the middle of the house,
they really don't have anywhere else where she can be more
sheltered/quieter. It has been two weeks and she whines at them
continuously while she is indoors.

Does anybody have any words of advice for this? Are we doomed? I am really
trying to make this fit as its my plan A, and this petsitter is a longtime
close friend who I have trusted with my pets before. We're trying to
explore all options to make this adjustment easier. Thanks in advance!