[Dailydrool] Feb 27th calander dated

Patty Crawford gusandto at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 27 23:53:24 PST 2011

Hi my drool family
    Today was my 45th birthday and my calender day with my hound family. Gus
pass on Jan. 22 of this year. That picture was taken on July 4th of 2009 just
months before he was diagnosed with Canine Cognitive Disorder.
    My life with Gus started in May 2002. The first time I saw a picture of him
I was in love. When I met him he came running out of the woods knocked me over
and ran to my car. I lifted him in and he settled in to the back seat passenger
side and that's was his seat the rest of his life. Gus had to have his window
down no matter what the temp was. If his window was up he would take his bag paw
and smack the arm rest till I would roll it down. Gus was my traveling buddy. As
a team we went to the Washington coast numerous times. Plus trips to Canada and
Oregon.
     He brought joy to lots of people including my reluctant parents. The first
time my practical dad met Gus he was upset with me because he did not see the
practical point in having a pet let alone a basset. Yet later that summer when
my mom had sugary I was in the house helping mom and Gus was on a tie out in the
back yard with my dad. I heard my dad talking to someone so I peeked out the
window. There was my dad in a lawn chair in the middle of the yard having a beer
talking to Gus asking him "Gussie hows your day" The two of them sat out there
for quite some time dad talking and Gus listening. This was the first of many
Grandad and Gus talks they did. My dad was so moved by Gus, Gus made it in my
parents Christmas letters over the years.
    One of Gus's greatest traits was his patience with pups. His life with
me, he spent my long working days with his Aunt Joni and Uncle Gary. Aunt Joni
has a love for puppies. He help raise 2 pups to adulthood and was a surrogate
playpal/mother to 2 foster pups. Gus would play so gentle yet if the pup got to
ruff he could scold so the pup could learn manners. When I got Tallulah he
learned to live with a very bossy girl. I feel he believed that his life was an
example to be follow. He was not pushy or bossy he would just be Gus and she
would follow in her way.
    Gus had amazing energy and endurance. I love to walk and so did Gus. Up
until he was 12 we walked most days 1-2miles and if weather permitted it could
be up to 6miles. At 13 we did one last hurrah walk total mileage was 4. We went
with friends 5 humans 4 hounds. 3 much young then Gus so I thought we would be
bringing up the rear. Gus lead the pack and we got back to the car before
everybody else. Even with that great achievement I chose to retire him from
hiking. Gus loved a good parade over the years he participated in more then I
can remember. July 4th 2009 at the age of  14.5 he walked in his last parade in
Ocean Park, WA. I retired him from parades. Aug.2010 he was asked to come out of
retirement to ride in Basset Rescue of Puget Sounds Float (red flyer wagon) in
the Brier Seascare Parade. He rode in the wagon wearing his octopus costume and
barking at the crowd. This is last truly memory I have of Gus benign most like
himself.

In Oct. 2010 is when the disease started taking over and I went into caring and
making sure he was comfortable. I think he had his paw in having me chose to
bring Wally in to the house. I feel he did not want to go till all was
settled in our house. When he said "all is well with mom" he left. There will be
no other hound like my sweet old Gussie.
 Gus brought me joy, life, laughter, and friends. He taught me patience, respect
and boundaries.
I love me a senior hound and will always have one in my house. I feel when they
leave in stead of a hole in my heart they have left a permanent paw print there.
I hope when I pass I've left that type of impact on someone.

Drool to all

Snooter kisses

 Patty Crawford .

Gus http://www.dogster.com/dogs/742885