[Dailydrool] A therapy dog for Oliver's Momma

Kathy Kontrim oahiggins at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 4 20:27:24 PST 2011

Hello Drool Family,

Thank you for the outpouring of sympathy and comfort you have offered for the loss of my sweet Oliver A. Higgins.  I still want to share a tribute to him, but I cannot get the words out yet.  But I will someday soon.  Oliver came into my life in the summer of 2000, the same time that my nephew (Sam) was born.  He took Oliver's death hard too.  He told me over the weekend- "Aunt Kathy, your house will be so empty without Oliver.  Why don't you keep Buster for a month, so you don't feel lonely."  What a great kid!  So, sleeping beside me on the couch is the 6 year-old "therapy" basset, Buster B. Higgins.  Of course, nothing takes the emptiness away.  I still see Oliver in every room and I will for a while.  However, the snoring basset next to me is very comforting right now. He doesn't have to do much to comfort me except be there - which makes it the perfect job for Buster.  (Bless his heart, his skill set is limited.)  Anyway, I am very thankful for my family and the support of so many folks.  Oliver A. Higgins will come tomorrow.  I will make a special place for him on the mantle.  The pain is still so immense.

Kathy and Oliver A. Higgins ATB (that is first time I've typed that)
w/ Buster B Higgins talent on-loan from Missouri