[Dailydrool] We truly are slaves

kacy green greenlikethecolor at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 16:16:22 PST 2011

I know we all joke and say we are basset slaves, but the other day it really
dawned on me. I am a freaking basset slave.

They whine in the morning, I get up and open the door.

They continue to whine, I get back up and feed them.

I go to work to make money to feed them, vet them and keep a roof over their
head. They lie around all day while I am doing this.

I come home and they yell at me for being gone so long, for not coming home
sooner, and to let me know it's dinner time.

They continue to yell, so I feed them dinner.

I sit down and try to relax or read the paper. As soon as I am comfortable,
they begin pawing at the door as if they need out. I get up to let them
out. Nope nevermind, I didnt want to go out - just wanted to see if you'd
get up.

I sit back down with paper, they huff and puff, walk over the paper and plop
down on my lap. Nope, no paper-reading tonight.

I go up to bed, and try to grab a big space, legs spread out, before Rupert
arrives and settles into MY bed. My king size bed, that is. Yes we upsized
due to his hogging of the old Queen.

Throughout the night, I end up twisted and contorted. But Rupert is
comfortable. I try to adjust him; he just grunts and lies there like a 70
pound bag of cement. My options are to find a space on the bed, or sleep
downstairs. I adjust. He sleeps through it all.

And even when they are driving me nuts, and I say I am not going to do what
they want. I still do. Because in the end, it's the only way to keep them
quiet.

Ahhh, the life of a basset slave. Gotta love it!

Kacy