[Dailydrool] Dog Food

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 14:36:09 PST 2011

We used Innova for several years with the Houndettes and loved it. However,
with all the uncertainty after P&G bought the company, we decided to switch
the Houndettes to a grain free food last fall. My daughter has continued to
use the Innova with her mastiffs. Within the past month, her younger
mastiff, Sasha, who is very sensitive to different foods, has developed
terrible internal problems! Talk about purple haze! Because Sasha is so
sensitive to different things, my daughter never gives her table food and
has been real careful about the kind of treats she gives her dogs. Anyway,
my daughter asked the Innova distributor if the ingredients had been changed
and he told her that she "must have gotten a batch that had been burned". We
ended up talking to another distributor who said that we probably wouldn't
see a change in the ingredients right away but what P&G has done in the past
when they bought a company was to use the same ingredients but they will buy
them wherever they can get the cheapest price and they're willing to use
lower quality ingredients rather than what was originally used. At this
point, we're convinced that is what has happened and my daughter is
beginning the process of switching the mastiffs to a different food.

We switched the Houndettes to Acana and have been really happy with it. It
was a long process to switch them from a grain product to a grain free
product (it takes about six weeks) but they have all actually lost weight
and their fur feels great. I ended up increasing the amount of food that I
give them at each meal because I don't want them to lose any more weight. I
never thought I'd say that!! I have no affiliation with either brand of food
but, after the intestinal problems that my daughter's dog has had, I think
that we need to be a little skeptical about the quality of the ingredients
that P&G is willing to use in their dog food products.

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger