[Dailydrool] Riley, separation anxiety revisited, the power of ritual

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 9 21:01:45 PST 2011

I am not a dog trainer. Well, my husband says I am an exceptionally poor dog
trainer--I train dogs to have bad habits (I once trained a dog to bark at me
whenever I was on the phone by giving him biscuits to shut him up while I
talked--I have learned a lot since then).

However, we have had a lot of experience with our two bassets, Bo and Harley,
regarding separation anxiety. Both hounds are rescues. We are the third home for
the first and the seventh home for the second (our heart hound). Both have had
separation anxiety problems--Bo's moderate, and Harley's off the chart. Bo is
good now (we got Harley to keep him company). Harley still has problems, but
we've made significant strides. Harley used to howl like a banshee if left--even
with Bo around--and Harley remains my shadow when I am home, which is usually.

We tried citronella bark collars, which worked at first and then did not.
BUT--we learned from both hounds the miracle of ritual. Before Harley, we used
to take a big cow joint and fill it with cream cheese and give it to Bo when we
left the house (this was absolutely the only time he ever got this treat). Bo
would save the joint until we returned home again and then relish it. It was
like a transitional object for him, which he kept nearby--we suspect to remind
him we would return--until we did. We could not do this once Harley joined the
family--the two dogs would fight, even if each had his own joint--and Harley
(the dominant of the two) would end up with both bones. That's when we started
with the citronella collars. I don't remember how we discovered that the
citronella wasn't working--Harley would howl through it as I recall. But
eventually, bringing out the collars and giving a voice message in a voice an
octave lower than usual: "We'll be back", got set up as a signal we were leaving
and would be back.  Now we take out the collars and put them on both dogs
(though we haven't filled them with citronella for over a year). We give each
dog a biscuit and tell them in our best Schwartznegger imitation "We'll be
bach". Harley sees the collar, takes the biscuit and goes and lies in his bed.
He saves the biscuit until we return. Bo takes his biscuit and goes out into the
backyard under a big tree and waits until we return to eat his. I don't know
what the magic is--but clearly it is routine and ritual. Somehow the ritual
clues the dogs into the fact that this is a special occasion and we will be
returning.

We have other problems with our hounds (Harley gets very upset at the sight of
boxes or suitcases), and if Harley starts barking in a guard dog/alert mode it
is hard for him to stop unless there is a human nearby to say "It's okay. Stop
now". But the ritual seems to have addressed the separation problems.

I don't have any great ideas on the sofa issue. I think Robert's suggestions
were right on. Or covering the sofa with a big blanket that you hide in the
laundry room when guests come. There are some very good dog trainer Droolers who
will probably have better suggestions than mine, but I can attest to the power
of ritual (and transitional objects?) for our boys.