[Dailydrool] Basset needs to lose 20 lbs.

Julie Canny julie.a.canny at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 13:30:13 PST 2011

A year ago, MacKenzie was up to 70 pounds.  She'd put 10 pounds on in 6
months.  The vet told us - cut it back, she's way overweight.  So, for the
last year we've had MacKenzie on half rations.  Essentially, she gets half
of what she used to get and half of what Gallagher gets.  Poppy was on the
same diet.  Poppy lost 4 pounds and looks great.  MacKenzie is up to 80
pounds.  Gallagher weighs exactly what he did a year ago - perfect.  I just
knew her diet wasn't working.  When we walked in the Charleston Christmas
parade, people loved all the bassets.  When MacKenzie went through I heard a
lot of "wow, look at the fat one". (Of course they could have meant me.)
 "well, she does have a pretty face".  She runs, she jumps, she's the
fastest up the front steps.  She gets 2 very long walks every day.  She also
sleeps, a lot.  She's not quite 3 years old.  So off to the vet again today.
 This time different blood work.  Could she have thyroid issues and still
have a great coat of fur?  Is the DH giving her snacks when I don't see it?