[Dailydrool] Basset needs to lose 20 lbs.

Karen sparks_red at att.net
Tue Jan 11 15:01:12 PST 2011

Julie,
I am going through the same thing with our new foster, Freddie who also needs to
lose about 15-20 lbs.  I did a full senior panel to make sure that every thing
is okay.  Since he is on a grain free kibble, I started him on 1 1/4 c. of
kibble  with one piece of lean natural beef jerky a day.  He will be going for
weekly weights at the clinic and I will cut his food by 1/8 cup until he starts
to steadily lose.  I do add raw carrots to his meals, which won't add any
weight.  Dogs cannot process raw vegetables because their system cannot break
down the cellulose wall.

 Everyone in the family and visitors has to be onboard with the diet or it will
fail.  I let my family and friends know Freddie is on a diet.  I actually go as
far as tell them if they give him a unapproved snack then they are shortening
his life and his chances for adoption.   I know alot of the houndies are going
to call me a bad slave but Freddie is such a love and he deserves a wonderful
home.   Besides I am tired of hearing him called a "Fat Boy" by my daughter.

Yes thyroid can be a problem  even if the coat looks good.  Tucker (ATB) had a
low thyroid and no hair loss.  The only change was that his coat had a bit of
a rough (stiff) feel around the upper back area.

We are sending  MacKenzie Weight Loss Drool.
Karen and The Dog House Gang