[Dailydrool] Vitamin C and Hip problems

Pam Farris savethebassets at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 11 18:27:45 PST 2011

BRF started using Ester-C (which is a patented form of vitamin C - it is more readily available for usage in the body) about 3 years ago.  It works great and I put any basset that comes in and has hip problems or limping problems on it.  All the seniors are put on it as well.  The lab people (as in retriever) did a small study of it several years ago and found that labs that had hip dysplasia were able to go back to being working labs once there were on it.  I know it works because I put myself on it and can tell a huge difference in my aches and pains in my joints and muscles when I don't take it.  I take 1000mg twice a day, most of the bassets that I give it to take 500mg twice a day and if they are really gimpy they get 1000mg twice a day, just like me.  It's inexpensive when you buy it at Costco.

Here is the article where I originally found out about using Ester-C for hip dysplasia.  I believe in it and hope others find it works for them/their dogs as well.  Of course you should always consult with your vet before trying this or any other treatment :-)

Pam Farris
Basset Rescue of Florida, Inc.
www.BassetRescueFlorida.com