[Dailydrool] about supporting a bassets liver

Dawn Gardner dawn at happyhoundpetservices.com
Fri Jan 14 17:14:03 PST 2011

My little beagle Annie had some liver issues.  I found that buying the Sam-E
and Milk Thistle (the two ingredients in Denamarin - S-Adenosylmethionine is
SAM-E and Silybin is from Milk Thistle) from the health food store was much
cheaper than the Denamarin, which was over $100 for a week's worth where I
got it.  Her level was actually 2300 at one point, and it took over a month
to get it back to normal.  I also had her on Vitamin E and a few other
things for a while.  Turmeric was also one of them, but I'm not sure what
the function of it is (if you look it up, turmeric is a wonderful thing!) I
wish I could remember everything.  I use a holistic vet who had her on some
supplements, and she did well.  Of course, we had the trouble of not knowing
WHY her levels were up, which I guess was the story of my life when it comes
to my dogs.

Just to clarify in case you read Annie died recently - there was no
connection between her mysterious liver disease two years ago and the cancer
that killed her - please don't worry that there was.  She made a full
recovery from the liver disease, and to date had not had any more trouble
with it.

I hope yours gets to feeling better soon.   It's so hard when our furkids
are sick.

Dawn Gardner
Behavioral Consultant & Trainer
Happy Hound Pet Services