[Dailydrool] Advice on puppy and rescue

Kathy Kontrim oahiggins at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 18 10:46:51 PST 2011

Dear Drool friends,

I lost my dear, dear Oliver on New Years Day.  Thank you all so much for your kind words and sympathy.  I have been working on a tribute to Oliver.  I am almost done and will post it soon.  (I keep turning into a puddle while working on it.)

Anyway, over the past few years I have been thinking that I would like to have 2 bassets one day.  Oliver was a one-woman dog and I didn’t feel like could introduce another dog late in his life.  I raised Oliver from a pup and enjoyed his life so much.  I have been thinking that I would like to get another puppy (in the same bloodline as Oliver, maybe) but also adopted an adult dog (maybe 3 or 4 years old).   My parents have 2 bassets and they enjoy each other so much.  I also think that an adult dog would help “train” the puppy.  Through the Drool, I have learned so much about rescue and the many dogs that need homes.  So I want to give a home to an adult dog.  I am wondering if it is best to get a puppy and then get an adult dog later (maybe a few months).  My thought is that I should get a puppy first because house training is so time intensive.  However, another friend suggested getting them at the same time so they could “adjust” together.   I really want to do the best thing for the dogs.  I would appreciate any input from those of you who have experience with this.

Thank you,
Kathy and Oliver A. Higgins ATB (and in my heart)