[Dailydrool] Hound Enrichment

Swartz foxybear at cox.net
Wed Jan 26 09:20:17 PST 2011

Drool is being slung to Bea, Dora, Val, Willie &  Thumpy the Pit/Basset
Auntie.  We hope that she recovers soon and is back to loving on you
guys & her newfies.

Happy Birthday Rusty!  Wishing you many tasty treats on your special
day.

Some of you may already be doing this or something similar, but my boys
love this and now Ruger actually demands it. So I thought that I would
share. I take a couple pieces of liver and/or chicken jerky, break them
into smaller pieces and stuff into 2 Kong toys. I also add small pieces
of an all natural cookies too.  Then I make them sit, place them on the
floor in front of the boys and let them have them.  Ruger will toss his
in the air or slam in onto the floor to get his treats to bounce out.
Colt will chomp down on the Kong crushing the treats inside and then
turn the Kong with bottom side down to get the treats to fall out. It
only last a few minutes but once they have gotten all of their treats
out of the Kong they are happy and settle down for TV & snuggle time.
It is so funny to watch them.  I also have one of those puzzle toys
(Cube with a bunch of squeaky balls in it) that I will sometime hide
treats in.  They love sniffing out their treats.  I am always trying to
come up with Enrichment games/ideas for the hounds to keep them active
and mentally stimulated. So if anyone else has anything that they do
with their hounds I would love to hear about it.

Michele Momma to the Bad A** Basset Brothers
Colt & Ruger "Give us our KONG!!!"