[Dailydrool] Thank you and yet another question

Nancy Candray speedsterbasset at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 26 20:30:54 PST 2011

Thanks for the info on DE. I was really sick last week and never really thanked everyone properly. So Thank You!

During my week of sickness, I discovered that I made a good mattress to the boys.  I was laying there too weak to push them off and they happily slept on me while I had a fever. I really don't let the boys sleep with me only cuz I don't like Speedy jumping down with the potential of hurting his back and so therefore Rambo doesn't come up because it seems unfair if Speedy can't. This time I made the exception.

After I got better Rambo decided that he'd worry me. On Sunday I discovered his lip all torn and bloody. I really don't know how it happened. I late both out at 9AM and by 11:30AM it was torn to shreds. It didn't seem to hurt him and I didn't hear him bark except for once. At the time I assumed a jogger was passing by the house. Luckily my vet is opened on Sundays and I made an appointment. When I got there, he said it definitely looked like a bit from either a possum or racoon or cat. The vet had to put him under to stitch him up.

One of the vet techs hinted it could be Speedy. Speedy and I were very offended. First because he wouldn't hurt a fly and second if Rambo and Speedy do play fight there is also vocalization and if Rambo crosses the line, Speedy makes sure to let me know with a series of barks and growls and whines. Speedy never made a peep during the 3 hours they were out.

Anyhow to my question, the vet sent us home with the elizabethian collar aka the cone of shame. He was very serious in making Rambo wear it for 10 days  24/7 so that Rambo can't scratch his lips. Today I came home and poor little Rambo's neck was raw to the point that it looks like it wants to blister up. Seems to me that the cone is making the matter worse instead of better. I  decided not to use it anymore but don't want him to scratch his lips. So my question is if I get an inflatible collar will he be able to scratch his lip? Rambo is a Shar Pei so he has longer legs that can easily reach is mouth area.

Nancy momslabe to
Speedy Speed Demon of the West OEBE
Ted (ATB)
and now Rambo