[Dailydrool] Cushing's and Lysodren

Judi Dunham houndies2 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 17:54:40 PST 2011

My beautiful Barney was diagnosed with Cushing's nearly a year ago.altho now
that I think back he had it for a while before that. The original ultrasound
seemed to detect a tumor, but it wasn't confirmed. He's been on Lysodren
500mg, twice a week since diagnosis. As for side effects, the only outward
problem was very loose stool, and since he has lost a lot of feeling in his
hind quarters, he would be walking along and just going without even
realizing it.
I asked the drool folk and Sandi Wittenberg recommended Metamucil with his
food. He wasn't happy with the powder, so I switched to the capsules. He
gets one in the am, buried in a favorite treat, and 2 at night in his wet
food. Now, even though he can't really control the action, the results are
fairly normal, and a lot easier to "handle!" He also wets as he walks along,
but as long as I get him out every 4 hrs during the day, and once in the
night, we can control that.
He also sheds a whole lot, and if it was nice warm weather I would be
grooming him often. But this has been some winter so far here on Long
Island, so I don't want to thin his coat. He is approaching 14 in April and
does very well for an old guy.But he can still muster up some drool to send
where needed.
Good luck.

Judi, Barney and Tucker