[Dailydrool] Basset ears

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Thu Jan 6 09:09:56 PST 2011

I have been so enjoying this chat about basset ears.

Every basset has its own special ears. Our Jane had rather short ears for a basset--they are not particularly spectacular in any way, and she doesn't really use them for anything but hearing. But Belvedere has the softest ears possible, great for comforting a hurting human. In general, they do normal basset ear things, do not get partidularly cruddy, and are my favorite ears in the hound household. Longer than Jane's, they still are not the longest basset ears around.

Abner has fairly long ears. I don't really touch them because I really enjoy having my hands (he snaps). But his fur is not particularly soft, so they aren't either. When he is upset or excited he does what one vet tech called 'flying nun ears." Both ears go almost straight out next to his his head in an amazing way. We put him on one of our howliday cards, a few years back. I can't figure how he does it, but it certainly stands out (pun intended) in a crowd. You cannot get him to do this on command--it just happens. If you have a camera on hand, you get a picture, if not, it's too late by the time you grab one. In the one picture I got of him, of course there is a large spot of crud clearly visible on one ear--Abs never seems to have completely clean ears.

Bassets have so much fun with their ears. Maybe that's why God--and their breeders--gave them such long ones.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets