[Dailydrool] Innova

R Groves dd-post at thegroves.net
Sat Jan 8 12:41:31 PST 2011

It's not just an "ingredients" thing .. the issue is also the source of
those ingredients.  P&G could keep the formulation exactly as it is now .
but instead of using Farmer X's chickens from Georgia . they switch to their
super supplier Farmer Z in Iowa.

The ingredient would still be chicken . but .. would the quality be the
same?  No way for us consumers to tell, until our animals start having odd
reactions . one of my own.. tolerated Kirkland's Premium Weight dog food for
two bags, and then by the third the signs started showing up . red rashes,
itchies, ear infections .. switch back to Kirkland's Premium Lamb & Rice ..
and by the end of the first bag, his infections were gone and have stayed
that way.. yet he's still getting red itchies now and again..

This base component switching, is what got Diamond into so much trouble
making foods with ingredients that they couldn't rely on.  One supplier to
Diamond started sending a rice protein that contained Melamine.  Diamond had
no clue.. they were just getting a slightly less expensive rice product. the
formulation of the foods made with that rice protein didn't change.. if it
were 10 parts chicken, 10 parts rice protein .. it was STILL 10 parts
chicken and 10 parts rice protein . but that the source didn't give enough
information, or didn't properly identify the base product had changed .
regardless of knowing the adulterant in the rice protein . that is what in
the end was the thing that started dogs to renal failure.

So even if P&G had 6 months to disclose a change of formulation.. it's not
even a formula that could change between now and the time any reactions are
seen from our hounds.. I wouldn't be surprised if that is one of the number
one arguments the "naturalists" use for making your own food at home with
ingredients you "the owner" (slave) are putting into the meal.

So one of the real answers, would be that food makers test all batches of
feed against a standard and extended panel of things that should/shouldn't
be in the food . the Feed manufacturer can push that back on their
suppliers. but if the supplier doesn't properly test for things that should
and should not be in the food .. you're back into the mess that Diamond was
in originally.  Unconfirmed food contents.

Anywhere a company can skirt the laws, to save a buck, they often will.  Its
less costly to deal in litigation after the fact, than it is to be 100%
right and accurate before it.  Lives lost this way have no fair market value
to the company.

-Robert

(the angry dog food man)

Subject: Re: [Dailydrool] Innova

"A real pain---just checked our old and new bag and the formula is still the
same."

Something you need to know - government regulations allow P&G to change the
formula but not show the change in the ingredients list right away, I
believe they have between six months and a year before they are required to
show the changes.  So if you know there has been an ownership change, don't
rely on the new company to let you know that they have cheapened the
contents.