[Dailydrool] sprains

wngreen wngreen at ptd.net
Sat Jan 8 10:36:46 PST 2011

Dear Droolsters,
For those of you who have bassets with sprained legs
let me tell you about a medication my vet prescribed.
It is called Metacam manufactured by Boehringer Inge.
You give the dosage according to the dog's weight and
put it in their food.  For example, Becky weighs around
50 pounds so I took the syringe and measured 50 on the
dosage marker and withdrew some from the bottle and put
it in her lunch for about a week.  Then presto, she
was all better.  I paid about 50 dollars for the medication
which was eventually reimbursed towards my deductible by
Trupanion Insurance.  They did not cover the routine vet
examination or ear cleaning, but they covered everything
to do with the sprain including x rays.  The vet claimed
that the sprain was caused by an inflamation.  If you do
not want to get this medication thru your vet, it may be
cheaper to purchase it online.  Hope this helps.

Yours in bassetude,

Wendy, Becky, Daisy (AKA Trentonia) ATB, Bagel (AKA Priscilla) ATB