[Dailydrool] Basset ears

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Sat Jan 8 12:05:48 PST 2011

> Abner has fairly long ears. I don't really touch them because I
> really enjoy having my hands (he snaps). But his fur is not
> particularly soft, so they aren't either. When he is upset or
> excited he does what one vet tech called 'flying nun ears." Both
> ears go almost straight out next to his his head in an amazing way.
> We put him on one of our howliday cards, a few years back. I can't
> figure how he does it, but it certainly stands out (pun intended)
> in a crowd.

Our friend Jennifer's basset Owen flares his ears out, too. It seems
to happen when he's feeling relaxed with the people around him or
hopeful that some food might drop his way. I guess it makes sense
that if humans can learn to wiggle their ears, then bassets can
develop the knack of flaring out their ears.

Elizabeth