[Dailydrool] Dog Food

Kathleen Jones klj at efn.org
Fri Jan 14 14:15:38 PST 2011

If it helps, Costco's Kirkland food is Diamond Naturals, redone for Costco.
If you can find Diamond Naturals Chicken & Rice or Lamb & Rice, the price is
similar to Costco's & the same food, usually $26ish for 40 lbs with no corn,
wheat, soy or odd-ball biproducts.

 Diamond's DRY foods were NOT included in the great melamine recall, only
some canned that was jobbed out to Menu Foods.  See the Pet Food List at:
http://www.petsitusa.com/blog/?cat=15
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

I've fed Kirkland when the budget was tight & things went just fine. YMMV.
My aunt's GSD was on it most of her 14 years.  The breeder for one of my
Cavaliers feeds it to her crew of show dogs; Cavaliers have at least as many
allergy problems and ear issues as Bassets.   It just depends on the dog.

Precise is made by an in-house company, not something farmed out.  We've
liked the Precise Plus.   Natura's Healthwise is usually less than Cal.
Natural but can be hard to find.  It was a good food for Henry W. when he
was on a reducing diet.   I tend to rotate between 2 or 3 foods every 9
monts or so, so they don't get bored.

My Bentley Basset, before I got him, lived the first 7 years of his life on
generic food & day old pastry.   I changed that fast.  Nevertheless, he made
it to a robust 14+.   I kind of quit obsessing over diet.  Do the best you
can, but genetics makes a big difference.  I don't advocate day old
doughnuts as a routine, but he wouldn't have minded.

Kathleen & Maestro (just cheeeezze, please!)
(w/Henry Wadsworth & Bentley Basset ATB)