[Dailydrool] Dog Food

Dawn Jackson dlvj at ptd.net
Sat Jan 15 06:41:39 PST 2011

Anthony I have been feeding my labs and now my hounds Purina One and they are all thriving well on it.  Daisy, my 8 year old lab and Jethro....don't know his age but I know he's up there, are fed "Vibrant Maturity" and the other 3 get beef and rice.  I have to say, we had labrador retrievers for many years before there was even internet and we fed them the regular Purina in the green bag and they were very healthy.  One of our first lab mixes at the age of 11 got spondylosis (sp) and became paralyzed in the rear.  When they did all the bloodwork and tests on him the vet asked us what food we had fed him to this age because except for the infection, his internal organs were working like you would expect in a much younger dog.  Then we got the internet and I found out that we were "bad" dog parents because we didn't feed the pupsters the most expensive food.
I honestly think it all depends on the dog.  I used to feed Pedigree but Daisy always had a terrible odor and I did read where some dogs that are fed Pedigree have that problem.  I have a friend that breeds and shows Samoyeds and Pedigree is all she feeds her 5 dogs and her male is a champion btw.
My husband is going for a cardiac cath on Monday and depending on how long he is out of work, our crew might be getting fed Ol' Roy for a while :-) but they will survive, I'm sure.

Dawn, momslave to Lucy, Lilly, Jethro and Oopie