[Dailydrool] Fred vomiting after eating

R Groves dd-post at thegroves.net
Mon Jan 17 12:58:09 PST 2011

Richard,

First ... even if Fred doesn't have the tendency to over eat, it isn't a
good idea to leave food down .. it sets bad precedence for many things,
including ants, rodents, and just the "I'm gonna eat till I puke"
possibility.  Best is to have a twice a day feeding regimen, and you can add
canine appropriate treats to help with good behaviors, etc.

Second, Human food could easily be the cause, especially if you notice the
vomit happening more frequently when he's had human things.  Its possible
they don't agree that well with him, or they are too much of one type or
another ... ie too much fat, too much protein, too much lactose, etc ...

Its always possible for him to be developing a food sensitivity or allergy,
and vomiting would be the least of your worries if he becomes even more
sensitive (ie. think anaphylactic shock).

In any case ... your best bet is to really keep track of what he is and
isn't eating ... log if you can ... and controlling what food is down for
him would be the starter... then you can look back at what he's had ....
combinations, times, how fast he ate it, etc... and thus you can start
narrowing in on what seems to cause the reaction the most.

It can also be something as simple as the speed at which he eats when he
does eat.  My boy Riley use to throw up after every meal when we first
adopted him.  He had been a stray found wondering the streets of Martinsburg
West Va.  He was emaciated when BROOD got him and they worked to increase
his weight .. he was (and still is but less so) food aggressive ... no big
surprise when you've been on the streets fighting for food... and no matter
how much food he was given or what time of day he'd always want more ...
well I discovered that if I forced him to slow down, by being there,
reminding him slow down, petting him to keep his mind on "something" being
there that he'd guard his food from, he'd get slower at eating.. and thus..
no more throwups after meals.

Its now been 6 years and I don't have to stand over him all the time, I just
remind him "slow down" with a single rubbing stroke from head to tail, and
you can see him slowing down...

Hopefully you'll be able to find a good medium ground, and track down the
cause... Good Luck!!

-Robert

  _____

Subject: [Dailydrool] Fred vomiting after eating

He usually seems to have this after my Mother has decided to give them some
tidbits.  We took them off of human food when my Mother moved in with us
about seven weeks ago-figured leftover from three plates was just to much.