[Dailydrool] Down Time?

Mary Lee Trnka mltrnka at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 1 08:53:47 PDT 2011

Philby - 1Mom - 0 Well, it finally happened.  There have been so many times in the many years that I have been a basset slave that I "almost" fell - trying to step over one that decides at that very moment to get up, backing up into one that decided to nap right behind me, etc.  A couple days ago, the DH & I returned home around "walk time".  Now, whenever we come home, Philby has the same routine.  He waits for us to open the door out of the kitchen so he can run from one end of the house to the other - a routine we call "clown dog".  He ends this by diving sideways into the carpet in the living room and rolling around upside down.  He was probably a little more rowdy than usual because he was anticipating his walk.  This particular night we were waiting for our son to come home to take Philby on his walk, but I wanted him to go outside to potty, since we had been gone several hours, and his walk was going to be delayed a little while longer.  Philby had run to the bathroom door (that's where DH was) and as I was walking into the kitchen, he decided to run to the living room, between me and the kitchen door. I guess I had a little too much "forward momentum", and Philby caught me right across my shins.  I went down flat on my belly, with no chance to catch myself or break my fall.  My left knee took the brunt of the fall, but I also smashed both elbows.  Fortunately, I didn' hit any walls or woodwork, and nothing was broken.  Of course, Philby was unscathed.