[Dailydrool] Grieving JB

Pamela McQuade bassetizedslave at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 3 09:40:18 PDT 2011

When we lost our Alexis, we took in Abner after about three weeks, as a foster. I was still too raw emotionally to commit to a new hound. What I discovered was that not adopting too quickly was a good thing. Emotionally I unintentionally expected the new dog to be very much like Alexis, and it didn't help that Abner and Alexis were so similar in many of their quirks. Abner remained a foster for a while, and that was good, because I needed time to begin to appreciate him for himself.

We lost Abner about a month ago. Today we are picking up a new foster, who we hope will simply be a foster, since we cannot afford to adopt right now.

I think it's a good idea to take in another hound to help fill the awful emptiness of the space the previous one left. But be aware that even though you think you are ready, there may still be powerful emotions at work. You may miss JB more than you realize. And your need to have that space filled may not really be the need to rush into another adoption.

For us, fostering has been a way to fill the space without having to worry about adoption. We fostered Abner with the idea that we would eventually adopt him. We just needed a bit more space. It was a good idea. By the time we adopted Abner, some months later, we were really ready to do it.

Today we will be adding Ollie to our pack. It sounds as if we are taking in Alexis' stunt double, as Janice would say. She has a bunch of health issues and is losing her home because her humans are moving and don't want to take her along. I suspect we may find she has a few issues they have not mentioned, but she is an elderly hound in need, and we are an elderly hound home.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets