[Dailydrool] Pat report

Pat Wood patshoundies at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 4 10:04:38 PDT 2011

Sandi - and all who are caring about Pat, including all the Drool - I am a professional Guardian in Florida, and have to every 6 months or so deal with end of life care for Wards in my care who have moved through the various stages of dementia and losing their mental capabilities to the inevitable end. I've always chosen to place them in a Hospice House where they are especially cared for in their last days. Over the years, I've come to understand that special palliative care  Hospice provides is  the absolute best way for us in these situations.

Hearing is the last sense to leave us... I can tell.  Pat has responded ever so slightly to your voice.  She understands.  You've given her "permission" to go which is also good. I've had several instances where it was anticipated my people would be leaving, but they just didn't.  So why?  some still feel that someone expects them to pull out of it.  I had one sweet lady who was still with us days after all of the signs were there that she was leaving.  the Hospice nurse, and doctor were unbelieving that she stayed.  I spent about 3 hours trying to think of what still wasn't "done", at least as far as she thought...and realized that we hadn't brought in her priest for her final rights! (she had had them 4 months previous on a hospital stay).  So, we called and he came right over (3:30 am) and within an hour, she had passed away.  I always try to go through a checklist of sorts as to what THEY might think is still "undone".  It may be that Pat feels there is still something left undone.  I think your assurances to her that you are taking care of "everything" and she can go now when she is ready will be reassuring to her.  She was such a go getter for so many causes, our hounds, rescue, and so much of the other parts of her life!  Her personality type might be that she still feels she has one more thing to be done. Having reassurance that everything will be "handled" and she can go might help her, when she is "ready".

This is difficult to talk about, but my experiencea have taught me that this is the "way it is" for many people.  It is those that are left behind who have the hardest time of it, we do hate to lose these dear people, but it is an inevitability we all come to.

Sandi, bless you for your constant vigil and care and the same for all of us Droolers everywhere who want to support you, and to support Pat's journey.

Pat Wood
Hannah - yup I lost my bonded buddy Oliver and I still grieve and miss him, especially 'cause I didn't get to say goodbye to him before he left for the Bridge
Buddy and Becky - we were close to dying ourselves before Suncoast Basset Rescue saved us-we were about to go to The Bridge.....not now...thank you for rescuing us!