[Dailydrool] Louie's Grieving

Nancy Brazell brazelln at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 5 10:43:13 PDT 2011

Within eight short weeks, Mr. Bo Jangles (4 years old) lost both of his Basset Companions.  One was Penelope, a female who had practically raised him as a puppy, and with whom he was very close.  The other was Mr. Baggins, over 12 years old, and a bit less involved, but always there.

Penelope went to the Bridge first, and Baggins followed 8 weeks later.  After Baggins died, Bo Jangles began acting the way you describe Louie.  He was fine, as long as I was right with him but, when I  had to leave, he just cried and cried.  We used Rescue Remedy and a pheromone collar which, together, helped a little bit, but did not take away the fact that he was severely lonely.

Some of my friends who have Bassets suggested that I get him a companion as soon as possible, so I started looking at Oregon Basset Hound Rescue.  We now have Pumpkin, a little girl who is close in age to Bo.  She has been with us for 2 weeks and has settled in beautifully.  Pumpkin and Bo Jangles play together, and both sleep on the bed with me.

I did notice that Bo’s muzzle had a bit more white in it than before.  Since you mention Louie’s face showing more white, I wonder if this is a sign of stress?