[Dailydrool] Specialty care in the boonies

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 7 20:53:44 PDT 2011

I am not a nurse. I live in a somewhat rural area on a very rural island in the
middle of nowhere. It is very beautiful here. My husband works at a community
healthcare center in behavioral health caring for substance abusers. I am
retired and take care of my two basset hounds and sew a lot and do art and am
quite happy. Once a year or so we take a "vacation" to the main island in our
island chain (Oahu, Hawaii) for specialty medical appointments (sleep apnea for
him, neurological problems for me). Okay. Not a problem.

One of our hounds, Bo, also has specialty needs due to his lifelong ulcerative
colitis. We have a good vet here who was trained in emergency medicine in
Colorado and has pulled Bo's bacon out of the fire quite a few times. Also not a
problem, though who knows whether we all would receive better or worse care in
more medically/veterinarily sophistocated climes.

At any rate, it hadn't occurred to me that our situations were in any way
unusual until I dropped off the hounds' overnight bag at the doggie daycare
center where they will spend the next two days while we spend our time on Oahu.
We love this daycare as the hounds are never caged; it is a 'milieu' environment
where the dogs romp freely though supervised, and the attendants and owners seem
knowledgeable and loving. They also do overnight boarding in the non-caged
milieu. When I asked if special needs dogs could be accommodated, I was assured
that this was no problem.The dogs have spent quite a few half days here with no
problems at all, so they are not strangers.

So, today, I dropped off an overnight bag prior to the dogs' arrival tommorrow
morning. I explained that due to Bo's medical condition, he was fed five times a
day in small meals (all pre-prepared: I/D kibble mixed with pureed chicken
breasts), with a time schedule attached; and that he took three medications
daily (pre-prepared with pill pockets included). And that he had a minor
anatomical problem due to his prior three hernia surgeries--that he had a little
pouch at the end of his intestines (not a hernia) that filled with poop, so when
he pooped, if he bulged, a human should assist by poking a finger at the bulge
and moving the lump into the proper channel to be expelled. And, of course, if
there were any problems, we had an open account at Bo's vet's office and were
good for our bills. None of this seemed particularly out of the ordinary to me.
Ah...acclimation.

You should have seen the owners' and the attendants' eyes bulge. "Are you sure
he doesn't need to be in an animal hospital?" asked the owner. Um. No. All he
needs is what I described. Okay was the final verdict. But it made me appreciate
again all the wonderful care that is so routine for so many in rescue and in
nursing care for humans with special needs and for all of us who deal with the
ups and downs of healthcare and aging in this life. So, thank you everyone. A
special thanks to Sandi for her loving attention to her partner Pat in her final
days. Semper fido. Val