[Dailydrool] Onslow and his tail

Sue and Brian Stevens onslowbasset at roadrunner.com
Fri Jul 8 17:35:23 PDT 2011

Well Onslow had the egg-sized cyst removed from his tail today. All
went well. He is fine - still a bit dopey - definitely a bit grumpy
(can any animal give a look of reproach as evocatively as a basset
hound?).

We were concerned that due to the location of the lump and its size
that the vet might have to dock his tail to close the wound properly.
The vet called my husband as he was prepping for the surgery to
discuss this very thing. They were going to opt to leave the wound
open instead of trying to close it. We would have to go to the vet
every couple days for he dressing to be changed etc. But then the vet
decided to try a new procedure using the laser that required a
smaller incision. It worked great and Onslow's tail is still intact.
But it looks so silly. It's wrapped up in a green bandage with only
the very tip showing... and of course even the tip is shaved. He goes
back to the vet in a couple days from them to remove/change the
bandage and see how it's doing. But so far so good!

But Onslow - "The Onslow" or "Our Onslow" as he is often called -  is
NOT happy.. he's had a rough day and he's quite grumpy about it. So
far he hasn't had to wear the e-collar but we will probably have to
put him to bed with it on to make sure he doesn't try to chew at his
tail. And of course, his allergies are still raging but they should
calm down soon. The vet gave him a shot for that.

On one more thing... funniest sight... Onslow laying down but head
up... slowly listing to the right then jerking himself upright
again... just to slowing slide to the right again... poor fella! We
finally convinced him he could just lay down and nap some more!

thanks for all the kinds words, thoughts, and notes!

Best -

Sue & Brian Stevens