[Dailydrool] Miss Gertrude Steinbeck Jokela is at the bridge

mjokela at camulus.com mjokela at camulus.com
Mon Jul 11 16:17:31 PDT 2011

I still can't believe it as I am sitting here with tears streaming down my face.  My girl is gone!

We weren't suppose to have today off but as luck would have it Alex's sister and brother-in-law needed a ride to the airport so we took a half day and decided to all meet here.  When we got here Gerdie was not right and I could tell she had bloated.  I gave her gasx and homeopathic treatment and rushed her off to the vet.  The meds seemed to have worked as she wasn't as bloated but x-rays showed she was still full of gas.  I brought her home with more gasx and was told to keep her quiet.  Within an hour she was pacing and wrenching and in pain.  I rushed her back and they tried to sedate her and put a tube in to release the gas.  It didn't work and her stomach had twisted.  At that point I was given three options: expensive surgery that she probably wouldn't make it through, take her home and watch her or just let her go.  We opted to just let her go as we knew that she was in pain and that it would probably just happen again.  She had gone from 55.7lbs at her visit a month ago to 47.2lbs, so there was definitely something else going on in her body.

The house is very very quiet, even with three hounds.

Hopefully Homer and everyone at the bridge welcomes her and shows her to the buffet.  She will now be the referee in the sky!

For now my heart is broken...

Melissa
Sarge, Oliver, Maddie with Homer and Gerdie ATB