[Dailydrool] Mixing old an new dogs

Julie Haegele jules56pt at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 20:02:52 PDT 2011

We have added to our menagerie several times.  Sometimes the results have
been better than others.  We usually go to a neutral place to meet.  When we
got Ninja, we met at a McDonald's off the interstate.  We had Sunny then,
the sometimes cujo basset, and they pretty much ignored each other.  Both
were bossy and thought they were the one in charge.  They whole time they
were together they ignored one another.  No love on either side.  Then
Marley came into the mix.  She was so sad looking and I couldn't let her go
on like that.  We took Sunny and Ninja to the foster family's house.  They
played a bit and she had an enormous basset who came out too.  It was quite
energetic.  Marley didn't know what she had gotten herself into.  She was
the funniest girl.  We brought her home and put her in the back yard.  She
walked a few steps and just stared.  She had never been off of a leash
outside.  Then she and Ninja chased a bit.  We had the diva, the grump and
the old cujo.  Then Sunny died and we found Maggie.  She was at the local
shelter.  We took Ninja and Marley to the shelter and let them all get
together in the yard.  They played and ignored each other.  Maggie is so big
that no one messes with her.  Even Ninja leaves her alone.  And then we got
Shelby. We met her ride at a motel and picked her up in the parking lot.
 She is in her own little world.  She was an only dog, I believe.  Non of
the dogs cuddle with each other.  I wish they would sometimes.  They are
four very independent ladies.  The cats add spice to the mix.  The cats
cuddle.  They are brothers and have never been apart from each other.  There
is never a dull moment around here.

Our first two bassets were sisters.  They were inseperable.  They played and
slept together.  They loved and fought like sisters.  I will always miss
them and they've been gone 15 years.  It seems like yesterday.

Julie with Ninja, Marley, Maggie and Shelby--always missing Sassy, Daisy,
Sherlock and Sunny all at the Bridge