[Dailydrool] Veggie gardens and fences and Bassets

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 04:20:15 PDT 2011

When we moved to our house (the one we are currently not living in due to
the flood) I wanted Asparagus. I researched it, dug a bed, made it sandy,
did everything. Planted disease=resistant asparagus and sat back to wait.
The next spring, 15 little beautiful fingerlings of asparagus sprouted. I
watched them. When they were about three inches high I thought I would pick
them. I went out one morning to gaze rapturously at my produce and found
Mitchell (now ATB) in the asparagus bed which was shorn of plants.

I put up a two foot wire fence and waited.
More fingerlings came up. At about the same point in their lives, Mitchell
simply walked over the fence and ate them all.
I put up a wooden, decorative fence.
A few weeks later I came out to find the fence strewn across the yard and
the asparagus babies gone.

The next year I put up a REAL fence.
He went under it.
I buried it in the soil and reinforced it with posts.
He dug the posts out. Bent the fence. Ate the plants.

The next year I replanted, took all the fences down and simply let Mitchell
have his asparagus. I never got so much as one stalk but to his dying day
that dog would eagerly have killed bears to get to asparagus.
They are a straaaaaaange breed.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Cooper