[Dailydrool] Most Prized Possession

Kimi Adolph kimizmail at comcast.net
Wed Jul 13 09:16:20 PDT 2011

Our Edmond sure keeps us laughing.. although last night I don't think he found it nearly as funny as his dad and I did.

You see Edmond has this baseball. He lives for that baseball. He found it one evening while we were running out in a field during a break between his dad's softball games. Edmond has never shown interest in any tennis ball (much to the chagrin of his dad) so when he came bounding back with a baseball in his drooly jaws, his dad was thrilled.

Edmond quickly took to his baseball routine. He would chew for 5 minutes or so and then roll the ball under his bed. He would go get it when he was ready to gnaw some more. Well, one day the ball disappeared. No matter how much we asked him "where's the ball?" (which typically elicits a quick romp to the bed to grab it) he would just sit and look at us. Until last night...

We were all doing laundry and as his dad was hanging up clothes in the closet Edmond shot like a rocket right at his feet, rooted around, and bolted again. Figuring he snatched one of our shoes or softball gloves, we gave chase, only to find him sitting on his bed gnawing on his baseball happy as a clam. We retreated back to the laundry only to be joined by Edmond and his drooly ball a few minutes later.

He jumped on the bed and dropped the ball at my feet. Then he started flinging pillows all around and digging furiously at our sheets. "This is something new," I thought and quietly got the attention of his dad. Edmond pulled back the sheets, moved the pillows, and stopped to look around. Then he grabbed his baseball, stuck it between the wall and the bed, moved the pillows back on top of the ball, scratched the sheets back up, and began 'pushing' the moved 'dirt' back on the ball. He buried that ball in our sheets!

He then sat back down where he was before the rediscovery of the baseball and rolled over for some belly rubs. We obliged, still laughing at what our clever hound had thought he accomplished.

I'm sure his little basset heart was broken when we went to bed and had to move the ball and he discovered his hiding spot wasn't so perfect after all. Although, we woke up this morning to find it stuck way down in the cushions of the couch, so maybe he hasn't given up on hiding his most prized possession yet...

Kimi & Edmond