[Dailydrool] Garden bassets

Susan Murray-Grage mzkrazykat at live.com
Sat Jul 16 11:27:53 PDT 2011

When we moved to our house here in Vermont, we moved from a tiny postage stamp lot and house in Seattle.  Here we have room for garden and separate yard for the dogs.  Basset Jack (ATB) and dachshund brother Otie were/are omnivores, and though we fenced their yard we tried occasionally to enjoy walking around with them off leash.  If/when Jack ran off, we could always find him in the garden, munching on whatever was in season.  He loved asparagus, raspberries, tomatoes, strawberries, green beans and peas...so there was usually something for him if the weather was nice!  I love reading about all the garden bassets!  Sadly Jack died from a perforated intestine after swallowing a peach pit he apparently found in the compost.  Thus and alas, Lucy and Charlie do not get to run free outside the yard, but they have discovered the little wild strawberries that grow in their yard!
Drool to all who need it, and to those left behind.
Susan, loving momslave to Lucy, Charlie and Otie.