[Dailydrool] Spleen surgery

Shelly Gordon-ABC Basset Rescue merchandise at nybasset.org
Sun Jul 17 07:56:13 PDT 2011

While at Nationals in Wisconsin this last Oct, Dudley had a horrible nose bleed during the night. Woke up to what looked like a murder scene in the RV. Rushed him to the emergency vet. The vet rattled off a dozen things it could be, one was spleen cancer. When we got home, we took him to our regular vet who did x-rays on him to find out he has tumors on his spleen. Dudley was 12 1/2 and it was going to be a hard surgery. We thought about it for a day or two, not sure what to do. One night, while on the floor with him asking him what to do, a picture frame of my beloved Doc who is at the bridge, fell off a bookshelf and landed near us. We knew it was a sign and scheduled the surgery the next day. He was at the vets for 3 nights. Turned out he had 8 cancerous tumors on his spleen.

Nine months later, he is now 13 and laying under my desk while I'm at work today.

It was a long, hard recovery and very expensive, but I don't regret it for one half a second. If not for the surgery, he would for sure be dead.

Thinking and praying for Bob during this time....
Shelly Gordon
ABC Basset Hound Rescue
www.nybasset.org
merchandise at nybasset.org